Monday, November 28, 2011

Fitness: A Priority

For a long time, I’ve always come up with excuses for not making fitness an integral part of my lifestyle. I was too busy, I work 10 hours a day, my work schedule changes. Other excuses I’ve had were everyday chores, I was too tired, I don’t have the energy, I wasn’t motivated. At the time, living a healthy lifestyle wasn’t my primary concern. All I cared about was making enough money to pay the bills and put a little in savings. I wanted to finish my house chores. I cared about keeping my German Shepherd under control. Spending time with my husband was also important to me.
So the last three years, fitness wasn’t my primary concern, and wasn’t even on the top of my priorities list. Sure, my health is important to me, but aren’t health important to everyone without all the hassles of exercising, eating right, and taking the right kind of supplements? No one wants to be sick, have a vitamin or mineral deficiency, or a weak immunity system. So the last three years, as other things became my primary focus, my health was at the bottom of my priority list. I gained weight, ate junk food, and did the occasional “I should start working out” pep talk to myself. Fitness was even on my resolutions list for the New Year. However, I never really succeeded. Fitness just never clicked for me, and it never made its way into my top priority list.

So what changed? How is fitness now a priority? I chose to make fitness a priority. A few months ago, I was considering a temporary part time job to make some extra money. A friend of mine asked me to come on board with Team Beachbody. I am familiar with the group from the Shakeology, P90X, and other fitness products that she uses and sells. I thought, why not? It could help me be in better shape of my health and body. And, boy did it help! Along with becoming a member of a wonderful team of coaches and learning about fitness and health, I could sell products, make a little money for myself, and get discounts on the products I want to use. Not to mention, I could really help people with their fitness goals! For this to be successful, however, I had to work on my priorities. I had to choose to make fitness high up on the list with my family and faith. Self-accountability for my goals helped put things to focus. I learned that fitness goes hand-in-hand with health. A strong, lean, happy body is a healthy body.

Holding myself accountable for my goals and having a team of other coaches helping me keep up with my accountability, helped me become more aware of the foods I consume and what I am doing for my health. I have learned so much and am happier with my body and health since I joined Beachbody. Fitness was finally a top priority with my family and faith, and now I have no excuses for not working out! I’m motivated everyday, I found a workout program that works for me, and I’m happy! Fitting a workout into my busy schedule is non-negotiable. It has to be done. I found a way to make it work and I love the results I am seeing from my body changes.

The key to successful fitness is making your exercises a non-negotiable schedule. You get the workout programs on your schedule and you tell yourself that this schedule cannot be changed, just like your work schedule cannot be changed. I cannot stress this enough. If being in shape and having a healthy body is important to you, you must make fitness a priority.

One change in particular that I noticed since I became fitness-conscious was the food I consume. Sure, I was eating healthier food so what I consume doesn’t undo my workout purposes. However, it didn’t always matter how low the fat is or what the calorie count is, or if it’s got enough proteins and fiber to be considered a meal. What really mattered is the nutrition and the ingredients behind the foods I consumed. All the additives and preservatives… they’re not good for the body. I had to learn to look beyond the nutritional information and consider the ingredients. The more natural foods consumed are healthier for my body. It’s a learning lesson every day I choose to make conscious, informed choices for myself.

For people to be successfully fit, they made the choice to have fitness be a priority in their lives. It’s a priority in my life now… and I couldn’t be happier with my choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment